- Tasting Notes & Technical Details
Vegan, Vegetarian, Sustainable, Certified Organic
The Loimer estate vineyards lie around Langenlois in the cool yet sunny Kamptal area to the north-west of Vienna. Divided into 100 parcels and planted on seven different soil types, the 85 hectares of vineyard offer huge potential for great complexity in the wines, while their high altitude and south/south-east-facing aspects encourage the development of aromatic compounds in the grapes. The conversion to biodynamic viticulture began in 2006, resulting in official Respekt certification for all estate wines.
Realising early on that he would follow in his father’s footsteps as a winemaker, Fred Loimer attended Austria’s renowned Klosterneuburg University and gained valuable experience in Nahe, Germany and the Napa Valley. Fred took over the winery from his father in 1997, purchasing and renovating a 19th century vaulted brick cellar in 1998. Unlike many Austrian producers who go for a rich, sweet style, Fred obtains full ripeness in the vineyard yet ferments to dryness. All the Loimer wines display his trademark definition, zest and balance on the palate.
The grapes for their two regional wines are handpicked from vines aged up to 50 years. Aromatic and crisp, the Kamptal Grüner Veltliner and Kamptal Riesling offer excellent value.
Loimer’s single vineyard (Erste Lage) wines are ranked among the best in Austria. Certified both organic and biodynamic, the ‘Ried Loiserberg’ and ‘Ried Käferberg’ Grüner Veltliner as well as ‘Ried Steinmassl’ Riesling are from top vineyard sites in Langenlois. These wines display wonderful purity of fruit and a real sense of place.
In addition to his internationally renowned still wines, Fred Loimer also produces premium traditional method sparkling wines. The vineyards in his home town of Langenlois are influenced by the cool northerly winds and the high diurnal range which help to preserve the freshness and aromatic intensity of the white grapes varieties. Fred also cultivates vines in Gumpoldskirchen, in the historic wine-growing area of Thermenregion, just south of Vienna. Gumpoldskirchen benefits from the warm air coming from the Pannonian plain, allowing black grape varieties to ripen consistently and develop fine perfumes. According to Fred, time and precision in the winery are just as important as the quality of fruit to produce a great sparkling wine, which should always encompass complexity, depth and freshness.
The Extra Brut Reserve was aged on lees in bottle for 18 months prior to disgorgement. Winner of the Gold Medal at the Decanter Wine World Award 2020, this non-vintage sparkling wine opens with aromas of green apple and lemon cake. The bone-dry palate is supported by vibrant citrus peel and toasty notes, which are animated by a subtle minerality and crisp acidity. The Brut Rosé Reserve blends Zweigelt, Pinot Noir and St. Laurent and spends at least 24 months on the lees. Made with 20% reserve wines, the palate is mouth-filling and structured, with discreet notes of strawberry and red currants and more complex flavours of pastry and nougat.
Situated 200 to 400 metres above sea level, the climate of the Kamp Valley is characterised by cool nights and warm days, with a long, sunny autumn. The high summer temperatures are mitigated by the River Danube and the Waldviertel (forested area). The long growing season and the difference in temperature between night and day gives the grapes a chance to reach full ripeness and develop fine perfumes and flavours. The grapes for this wine are grown in fine, old vineyards around Langenlois and nearby areas, at a density of 2,500-5,000 vines per hectare. 80% of the vines are grown in loess soils and the remaining 20% in weathered gneiss soil, and are guyot trained.
The 2021 vintage began with a cool and very dry spring which led to a later bud break, avoiding any frost damage. Flowering occurred in mid-June with summer bringing mainly dry and hot conditions. Occasional timely thunderstorms arrived to maintain the humidity with a few millimetres of rain. The harvest finished in mid-October.
The hand picked grapes underwent a short maceration (up to two hours) before being pressed, fined and fermented. 95% of the fruit was fermented in temperature controlled stainless-steel tanks at 20-22°C for two to four weeks with the remaining 5% fermented in large oak barrels. The wine fermented in tanks remained on fine lees for 4 months to add depth and complexity before blending with the small percentage of wine that was barrel fermented.
This wine is a vibrant yellow in colour. Aromas of yellow apple, pineapple and marigolds fill the nose with gentle hints of white pepper. The palate is structured and precise with notes of lemon jelly, dried apple, pear pulp and juicy oranges, balanced by refreshing acidity and some saltiness. The finish is citrusy, long and robust.